WHAT IS GLYCEMIC INDEX?
The ability of the food item to raise the blood glucose level is measured in terms of Glycemic Index. It is basically a number associated with a particular type of food which indicates the food’s effect on a person’s blood glucose level. The value of Glycemic index represents the type of carbohydrate in a food but says nothing about the amount of the carbohydrate typically eaten. So, Glycemic Index is a ranking of foods based on the post prandial blood glucose response and the ranking typically ranges between 50-100, where 100 represent the standard and equivalent amount of pure glucose. On the basis of the ranking there is Low Glycemic Index and High Glycemic Index.
LOW GLYCEMIC INDEX
Low Glycemic Index refers the low amount of carbohydrate present in a food. Which means these foods won’t be able to increase your blood glucose level.
LOW GLYCEMIC FOODS
Foods with a low Glycemic Index, that is 55 or less than that, are said to be Low Glycemic Foods. Here is a list of Low Glycemic Foods –
Cereals: Oat meal, Oat bran muesli, Bulgar.
Grains: Pasta, Barley, Corn.
Legumes: Channa dal, Beans, Chick peas, Spilt peas, Lentil.
Bread: Pita bread, Whole-wheat bread.
Dairy: Almond milk, Soy milk, Greek yogurt.
Fruits: Apples, Papaya, Peaches, Mango, Berries, Oranges, Grapes.
Vegetables: Sweet potato, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Tomato, Cabbage, Spinach, Cucumber, Onion, Green peas.
Nuts: Almonds, Walnuts.
BENEFITS OF LOW GLYCEMIC FOODS
1. Low Glycemic Foods are most suitable for a diabetic patient as it will control the blood glucose level.
2. It also helps to reduce the cholesterol level.
3. Reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
4. Low Glycemic Foods are beneficial for obese people and helps to lose weight.
5. Increases Body’s sensitivity to insulin.
6. Improves your physical endurance.
7. Reduces the pangs of hunger as Low Glycemic Foods are digested and absorbed slowly.
8. Improves the function of gut bacteria.
HIGH GLYCEMIC INDEX
High Glycemic Index refers the high amount of carbohydrate, which produces high concentration of blood glucose.
HIGH GLYCEMIC FOODS
Foods with a high Glycemic Index that is 70 or more than that are said to be High Glycemic Foods. High Glycemic Foods are better to be avoided. Here is
list of High Glycemic Foods –
Cereals: Puffed rice, Porridge.
Grains: Rice, Millet.
Bread: White brad, Corn bread.
Fruits: Watermelon, Dates, Banana, Pine apple.
Vegetables: Pumpkin, Potato, Beets, Carrots.
Beverages: Energy drink, Alcohol, Soft drinks.
HAZARDS OF HIGH GLYCEMIC FOODS
1. Increases insulin demand and therefore could plausibly contribute to higher risk of Diabetes Mellitus. And a diabetic patient should definitely avoid High Glycemic Foods.
2. Increases the risk of heart diseases.
3. High Glycemic Foods can also be responsible for weight gain.