The best pre-workout foods are those that provide sustained energy, enhance endurance, and promote muscle recovery. Here are some options:
- Whole grain toast with nut butter: The combination of complex carbohydrates and protein in nut butter provides sustained energy and helps prevent muscle breakdown.
- Greek yogurt with fruit: Greek yogurt is high in protein and low in sugar, making it an excellent pre-workout food. Add some fruit for a quick energy boost.
- Oatmeal with fruit and nuts: Oatmeal is a great source of complex carbohydrates, while the fruit and nuts provide additional nutrients and energy.
- Banana: Bananas are a great source of carbohydrates and potassium, which help prevent muscle cramps during exercise.
- Smoothie with protein powder: A smoothie made with fruit, yogurt, and protein powder is an excellent pre-workout snack that provides energy and promotes muscle recovery.
- Whole grain crackers with hummus: Whole grain crackers provide complex carbohydrates, while the protein in hummus helps promote muscle recovery.
Remember to eat your pre-workout meal 30 minutes to an hour before exercise to allow enough time for digestion.